English Wine Week 2021
For many years, the popularity of English Wines has been on the rise. This blooming industry has seen sparkling wines at centre-stage but the past few years have seen still wine taking a bigger role.
Not only are English wines improving in quality but they’re also now easier to get hold of than ever before.
This English Wine Week (19-27th June) celebrate the taste of the English countryside with a glass of wine. Better yet, why not take a trip to a vineyard or a local, independent wine bar?
We've put together a list of
Vineyards to visit
- Woodchester Valley Vineyard, Stroud, Gloucestershire (still have spaces left to book for this week!) www.woodchestervalleyvineyard.co.uk/tours
- Three Choirs Vineyards, Newent, Gloucestershire www.three-choirs-vineyards.co.uk/wine-tasting-experience/
- Denbies Wine Estate, Dorking, Surrey (Englands biggest vineyard, private tours but also open to the public to walk around for free) www.denbies.co.uk/tours-and-experiences/
- Camel Valley, Bodmin, Cornwall www.camelvalley.com/tours
Wine Bars to visit
- Renegade London Wine, London. Not what you might expect from a wine bar, this urban winery works with small vineyards & values innovation.
- Erst, Manchester. A modern, industrial-style wine bar run by a group of friends, Erst specialises in natural, low-intervention wines.
- Ten Green Bottles, Brighton. Equally a wine bar & wine shop that specialises in wines sourced directly from small vineyards.
- Gordon’s Wine Bar, London. The bar opened in 1890 and is thought to be the oldest wine bar in London!
Best Supermarket English Wine to try
Camel Valley Bacchus - Waitrose, £14.99 www.waitrosecellar.com
Bowler and Brolly Specially Selected English Cuvée - ALDI, £8.99 www.aldi.co.uk
Botham & Balfour English Rose Wine - Tesco, £12 www.tesco.com
English White Wines to try
The Society's English White
A delicious dry white with aromas of white fruits, citrus and gooseberry. Produced by Three Choirs Vineyards from the West Midlands. Available from their website for £8.50 www.thewinesociety.com
Lyme Bay Shoreline
Aromatic and elegant, this wine is intense and persistent on the palate. Lyme Bay is in Devon's picturesque Axe Valley. Available from their website for £11.99 www.lymebaywinery.co.uk
English Red wines to try
Bolney Wine Estate Lychgate Red
A medium-bodied dry red wine with earthy aromas, hedgerow fruits and black cherry. Bolney Wine Estate is one of the oldest vineyards in England and is located in Sussex. Available from their website for £15.99 www.bolneywineestate.com
Brightwell Vineyard Pinot Noir
Gentle maturation in oak barrels has enhanced the delicate cherry and summer berry flavours of this wine. Brightwell Vineyard is located in Oxford. Available from their website for £14.40 ww.brightwellvineyard.co.uk
English Sparkling Wines to try
Coates & Seely Non-vintage English Sparkling Brut Reserve
Coates & Seely wines are grown from vines of the ancient chalk downlands of Hampshire, in Southern England. Available from their website for £32.95 www.coatesandseely.com
Hattingley Valley Classic Reserve
Hattingley source fruit from a wide range of England’s regions but have their own vineyards in Hampshire also. Available from their website for £30 www.hattingleyvalley.com
*We are not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any other company, agency or government agency. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.*